Kite Scoop Forum

Kite Scoop Forum

Login |  Register

Post subject: Board weight
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:18 pm 
larva
Does anyone have an idea if there is a list or an article focused on the weight of the wakestyle board models built in the last few seasons? As I did not have the possibility of building boards with grind base on my own I was wondering if these boards are always heavier. I am really stoked with my 2016 Custom which is really light but sadly has no grind base so I wont ride it on the cable and miss quite a lot of time on the water.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Board weight
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 am 
grasshopper
Makossa wrote:
Does anyone have an idea if there is a list or an article focused on the weight of the wakestyle board models built in the last few seasons? As I did not have the possibility of building boards with grind base on my own I was wondering if these boards are always heavier. I am really stoked with my 2016 Custom which is really light but sadly has no grind base so I wont ride it on the cable and miss quite a lot of time on the water.

In general kiteboards which are light are usually flexy noodles or grim carbon pieces. Light boards suck. Get a real board which is stiff in the right places and flexy in the right places, weight isn't really an issue in any kiteboards i've seen.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:18 am 
core whore!
Ewan wrote:
Makossa wrote:

In general kiteboards which are light are usually flexy noodles or grim carbon pieces. Light boards suck. Get a real board which is stiff in the right places and flexy in the right places, weight isn't really an issue in any kiteboards i've seen.

True. I think light weight is not overly important, the most important thing is to have flex and stiffness in the right spots. A flexy noodle will never ride good no matter how light it is.

p.s. New Tranq is about 3.3kg, but that's still kind of light compared to most wakeboards (just turned out that way).

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:27 am 
mantis
have you guys lifted the new windsor + rads? (wakeboard)
You almost need a troley to carry it around.

I also beleive that the weight is not an issue, but there is a limit.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm 
mantis
from what I've heard from shops in the uk is that slingshot has now moved its wakeboard factory out of the us and to "somewhere east" and there having issues with production

about half of the boards and boots that get sold are coming apart and getting warrantied.

does anybody know anymore about this?

back to topic

i think the kiteboarding population in general is starting to get over the whole weight fad. I'm starting to see more riders on heavier wake style boards and less on the super light weight carbon sticks that delam as soon as they get close to anything but water

@tranq

thats pretty light for a big sintered based board. What core does it have

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 am 
larva
I think a lot of brands produce their boards "somewhere east" which may be caused by the lower costs of production I guess.

It always depends on your spot if you can ride a heavier board or not, here in Austria I would need a bigger kite for some days if I would ride a heavier board.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:12 pm 
core whore!
elliott george wrote:

@tranq

thats pretty light for a big sintered based board. What core does it have

Full Wood Core.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:15 pm 
core whore!
Makossa wrote:

It always depends on your spot if you can ride a heavier board or not, here in Austria I would need a bigger kite for some days if I would ride a heavier board.

I don't think the amount people are worried about in kiteboards (full carbon vs regular wood core) makes a difference TBH. I think size of board and volume/thickness of rail makes a way bigger difference. I made the Tranq longer and thicker for this very reason. In this way you have far greater range of conditions you can ride in but still have those smooth takeoffs and landings because your board has rocker.

Profile  Offline

Troops online