Kite Scoop Forum

Kite Scoop Forum

Login |  Register

Post subject: duck, stance and other little things
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
grasshopper
Ola

How much duck, do you have on your stance. I set it to +-12° and it kind of feels ok, (haven't tried it on the water yet) but it looks very parallel. can to much / to little duck cause problems, inJurys. Any good advices for beginners in boots?

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: duck, stance and other little things
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:58 pm 
mantis
pretty much set the stance on the widest inserts (most boards), then keep as little duck as possible. too much duck can cause knee problems so just have them as parallel as possible without being uncomfortable on your feet. i have 21 degrees duck on both my boots and it is ok. any less though and i cant ride for longer than 5 mins without getting real sore feet.. just play round with it until you find what suits YOU

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:39 pm 
mantis
I do the same for wake / kite / snow... all the way out.. 12deg. I used to be 15deg.. not much more.. but after i did my knee i found a massive difference bringing it in just the one setting - much more comfortable.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 pm 
mantis
The best thing you can do is pick what feels right and then play with it. I went from being a kook in straps to thinking widest stance/largest duck I could handle was steezy as fuck....

After Hadlow came out with videos of wide stance with straight feet, I started changing it up a bit and I've got them setup a lot straighter now.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 am 
mantis
It is a matter of preference, but biomechanically speaking, the wider the stance the more duck you need to add. This tends to be the best for the knees and hips.

Try to do squats with the feet a little more than shoulder apart, try to do them with the feet parallel and then ducked and you will feel the difference. The stance/duck should allow you to squat low so that your butt touches the floor without feeling pressure or pain on the knees. This is important because this setup will allow you to absorb landings much better and will save you from those hard landings where you squat all the way down.

It is not true that is better for the knees to make the stance all the way out. If it is too wide for you, you could develop hip or knees problems, to narrow and you will lack board control. It all depends mainly by how tall you are. Also, not enough duck angle could cause your knees to twist when you bend them.

The recommended stance width should be a little more than your shoulder width, so you should be able to barely fit your shoulders in between the inner middle point of your bindings. For the recommended duck setting, squat half way down so that your knees make a 90 degree angle (seating position) your feet should line up with your quads, in other words the angle of your bindings will be given by the angle of your quads (femur) while on the seating position for the specific width you selected.

Now these are the recommended settings, you can ride like this or you can do lil mods to make it more comfortable for you. Regardless, this should be a safe starting point.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 am 
mantis
here is a visual

http://slingshotsports.com/2011/10/boar ... -rienstra/

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 am 
grasshopper
Thanks a lot guys. You have all been very helpful.

I tried different settings and the 3/4 stance feels the most comfortable. I tried the widest setting and it felt very uncomfortable. Though i'm tall, i'm not very wide in shoulders or hips.

I played a bit with duck settings as well and i found +- 14° to be best. Also my feet were nicely lined with my legs when squating. :) Thanks Eric, very good tutorial there.

There will probably be some more adjustments after some time on water but it feels very good now.

Also here is the pic of my ride.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:57 am 
mantis
jimbo wrote:
I do the same for wake / kite / snow... all the way out.. 12deg. I used to be 15deg.. not much more.. but after i did my knee i found a massive difference bringing it in just the one setting - much more comfortable.

Actually exactly the same for me..

Widest 12deg.. I had a knee injury, and after that 15deg felt weird, then I put em in just the 3degs and now it is perfect..

Everyone has their own settings though.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm 
mantis
eric_rienstra wrote:

Right on E! I was going to post that link. I followed this to dial my stance in. I had a hard time getting it right I'm short but really wide in the shoulders. My knees feel way better now.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 pm 
mantis
pandaen wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Actually exactly the same for me..

Widest 12deg.. I had a knee injury, and after that 15deg felt weird, then I put em in just the 3degs and now it is perfect..

Everyone has their own settings though.

I agree everyone to their own..
but we're right haha :twisted: ;)

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 pm 
mantis
maybe thats why my knee feels fuucked my stance has been super ducked out for years! Took em in a few weeks ago I got em on the 18 setting now using ronix.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 am 
mantis
In my opinion, gangsta stance will kill your knees eventually. The wider you go the more duck you will need. It may feel good when you are standing with your hips parallel to the board, but you don't normally land that way. Too much duck and to wide puts pressure on the inside of knee. Too narrow is bad also so you have to find that happy medium.

Saying just to go "all the way out" isn't good advice. It depends on the board type, size, rider height, etc... The best stance is one that puts the less stress on knees. For me its 25-26" stance, 5'10" This is all the way out on my wakeboard (company recruit 138) and 1 in on both feet on my kiteboard (profanity V2).

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:03 pm 
larva
i have a new set of systems here and thinking about changing my stance and angle. some here ride a pretty straight binding set up and i would like to ride like that too because of an medial ligament tear in my knee but i can't seem to squat good with a almost straight set up. can you squat down still with a set up like that? with more duck it gets easier but fuck up landings with twists get worse for the knees.. so what is more important?;)

cheers

Profile  Offline

Troops online