Kite Scoop Forum

Kite Scoop Forum

Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: the real trick list
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:55 am 
core whore!
p.s. God wakeboarding is stupid sometimes :lol: .

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:44 am 
mantis
tweak wrote:
Things don't make a whole lot of sense in wakeboarding...

Indeed! And given that kiting is even more complex and three-dimensional than the world of wake, things seem to make even less sense, no?

I suppose that's life in general though, for as things complexify and evolve, they tend to be more paradoxical.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 am 
core whore!
Truth.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:32 pm 
grasshopper
two of my mates are pro wakeboarders so they have taught me a few things over the years in trick names you hear for example they talk about batwing, nuclear g-spot and other names which can be confusing unless they show me/demo it behind the boat. But alot of the time all these tricks can be very similar but with very different names from what pros have named them.

someone was asking about moby dick its a backflip 360 with a handle pass but you have to be doing the 360 while in the middle of the backflip so no its not doing a backflip than throw in a 360 once you have completed the flip and im pretty sure moby dick is done in a backwards motion i will explain this more.

the difference between backroll and tantrum yes they are both backflips but the backroll is done in a forwards motion and the tantrum is done in a backwards motion. Think of it like this while on a trampoline for a backroll stand on one side of the tramp and face your body forwards to the other side of the tramp than jump in a forward motion and do a backflip. Tantrum on the edge of the tramp face your back to the other edge and while jumping to the other edge in a backwards motion facing backwards do a flip.

i also remember my friend telling me but im not sure that is tantrums are laid out/open body and back rolls are tucked up.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:32 am 
mantis
exactly!, except

Aaron18 wrote:
i also remember my friend telling me but im not sure that is tantrums are laid out/open body and back rolls are tucked up.

The nicest tantrums (imo) are tucked and grabbed, like the indy tantrum or indy tantrum to blind.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:33 am 
core whore!
Good to see you're getting into learning the right names of things Aaron, but this conversation wasn't actually about the difference between a back roll and a tantrum, if you read we were having a discussion about the toeside backroll being done at cable (in the video) off a kicker and whether it could actually be called a "toeside tantrum" as the trick being done is basically a mirror of how its looks from heels.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 pm 
grasshopper
I understand what your saying tweak and your right it is a mirror to a heelside tantrum. I'm going to say its a normal tantrum because even that he was riding toeside up to the kicker he did the tantrum in a straight line. Also because there's no wake hes not going from one side to the other on a angle in the air and he is not doing a transfer on a cable obstacle. To do a backroll at cable i think you have to get your board square to the top of the kicker and to do a toeside backroll if your right foot forward at cable. I think you have to do a big right to left in the air while hitting any obstacle square on to do a blackflip in a forwards motion not a tantrum facing your back to everything and doing a backflip. hope this makes sense

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 am 
mantis
it's a bit confusing, but I think I get your point.
What matters here is the lip of the kicker and the board's position. If you allign the nose to the kicker you get rolls, if you align the toeside edge you get the flips. In order to do a tantrum you should align the heelside edge of the board to the kicker exit and trip over it.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:53 pm 
core whore!
As said technically it's a Toeside backroll, whether it could be called a toeside tantrum was what I was getting at, it still wouldn't be properly correct to call it a tantrum though as that is a HeelSide trick.
@ Aaron It's "toeside" because of the approach to the kicker, much the same as rail slides skateboarding are FS or BS depending on how you approach the rail, not how you slide or rotate on it.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 pm 
larva
While all these crazy names can be a headache, it can help to know where they came from! LearnWake cites Rick Perez as the Tantrum's creator.

"The tantrum was named after the way the trick looked when it was thrown behind the boat in the early days of wakeboarding when wakes were small and you had to work harder to get the tripping motion at the wake. Eric Perez, the trick’s creator, called it a Tantrum because you throw your head back off the wake just like a little kid would when they throw a tantrum when they get mad or because they didn’t get their way. The trick grew away from its aggressive heritage to one of the easiest flips you can learn on a wakeboard and is known as one of the inverts with the most variations."
http://www.learnwake.com/library/invert ... s/tantrum/

There's a similar story for other crazy names like Pete Rose/Raley etc
I guess using the given name is a way to pay respect lol

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Troops online